Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Woman in hat (acrylic 11"x14")


Palette portraits were the featured guests during a rare gallery showing in Kalamazoo several years ago. Most of the visitors appreciated the novelty of this new approach to representational art, but one inebriated gentleman referred to them as "the most disgusting vile pieces of crap" he had ever seen. So I said to him, "Look dad, no one asked you to drop by in the first place" Seriously, I adored my father-But the man who confronted me was in fact a well respected patron of the arts.
To an artist there is no such thing as a bad reputation; I only wished that he had written of his displeasure in the newspaper.

2 comments:

Anne said...

I love your art. Are you going to post more, my friend? Nettie said to ask...

Anonymous said...

This portrait looks to me very much like a combination of two photographs of Henrietta Lacks (of HeLa cell fame)! Check out her photos as well as her amazing story in "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks", by Rebecca Skloot. Do you also see a resemblance?