Saturday, April 10, 2010

Drawing

There is no such thing as a line in real life, but the eyes and brain accept the long thin roll of carbon as though it were a common thing.
A common thing to see each each of us wrapped inside a soft black thread as we walk from our cars or sit on the back porch telling stories.
We look at a drawing and recognize faces, names; the shape of hats, elbows, and tired eyes and say, "that's him alright", or "you call that art?" For me, drawing is like fishing on a square white lake pulling out the endless shapes that live just beneath the surface.

5 comments:

Shelly Morford said...

Hello, my name is Shelly Morford,I was doing a search on my grandfather and I came across your blog. I also have ocular migraines. They happen more frequently the older I get, I'm 28. Sometimes I fear that one day it will stick and I will be staring at that white strobe light forever. Eventually I get used to it and it fades into a pale light...Thanks for sharing.
Shelly
smorford2@yahoo.com

HowtoBEaCOOLoldLady said...

Hello - I draw portraits too, only, funnily enough I am obsessed with that line, that as you say doesn't exist in real life! I love the fluid stroke of it and how it can draw forth an image or a face, even though it is just a line, almost like writing. Yours is lovely work, probably the opposite of mine, its great that there are so many ways.

HowtoBEaCOOLoldLady said...

can I just say I totally love your work. its just beautiful.

Chris said...

HI, Your work is amazing! Love it!

Jennifer Valentine Morford said...

I am constantly amazed....still....when i peak at what you are working on, even after 11 years...simply amazed at the beauty you bring forth with a pencil or brush...