Thursday, January 5, 2012

Christmas Pears

This was a gift to my wife for Christmas. The hardest part of the adventure was switching out a different canvas when she walked into the kitchen where I was painting; trying to make her think I was working on something else. She almost caught me once.

I have been avoiding a strong palette these days, and so I had to constantly ask my daughter for advice on the color. To me, the pears look like they were rubbed with pastels and set on a plate. Nothing blends in or fits together. Of course, I can always say my paintings are intentionally impressionistic, but then I would be lying. I think I make the fundamental error of most people who are color blind, by asking for help in seeing, because I am asking for information I can't possibly use. How can I really know what red is, if I have never known red?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an amazing gift to give! And, as far as color goes, you handle it masterfully!

Lois J said...

I loved this as soon as I saw it, but then I have a thing for pears. Very, very beautiful.

Jennifer Valentine Morford said...

My most precious possession...i adore you, my KW.
Thank you for always making Christmas, and everyday magical in some way.